WELCOME TO WALLINGFORD MUSEUM
- where history comes to life! -
2014 Season - NOW OPEN!!
Wallingford Museum is a colourful, delightfully intimate and family friendly local history museum, housed on two floors of this medieval oak-beamed building in the heart of Wallingford in Oxfordshire, a Thames-side town founded in the ninth century by Alfred the Great. From the Museum's windows, you can see the remains of the great ramparts of Alfred's planned town.
Inside, the attractions include:
- The Wallingford Story, a SIGHT & SOUND experience – a walk through time from the Romans and Saxons to the Civil War, including a miniature re-creation of Wallingford's huge royal Castle, accompanied by an audio tour included free with your ticket.
- A Victorian Street Scene with walk-in Shop, Pub, Workshop & Workhouse peepshow
- Special features on the River Thames, models of Wallingford Bridge and Thames weirs, Roman burials from Crowmarsh and a detailed scale model of Wallingford Station
- Special exhibitions, including Agatha Christie - for information on what's new for 2013 click here
- Fun things for children - including much loved 'smelly, feely' drawers and archaeology sandpits
- A Museum Shop with a range of new books on local subjects, a selection of gifts and mementoes with an historical theme, and a wide choice of second-hand books