WELCOME TO WALLINGFORD MUSEUM
- where history comes to life! -
LAST CHANCE TO SEE.......
until 30 November
Wallingford Museum has two special exhibitions for 2016:-
'1066 - William comes to Wallingford!'
'300 years of Cartoons'
Regular Town Walks resume at Easter 2017!
~ if you would like us to arrange a walk for your group before then,
please contact ~ Philip Burton on 01491-836200 or email@example.com
Please see 'News & Events' for details of our other special events
Wallingford Museum is a colourful, delightfully intimate and family friendly local history museum, housed on two floors of this medieval oak-beamed building in the heart of Wallingford in Oxfordshire, a Thames-side town founded in the ninth century by Alfred the Great. From the Museum's windows, you can see the remains of the great ramparts of Alfred's planned town.
Inside, the attractions include:-
- The Wallingford Story, a SIGHT & SOUND experience – a walk through time from the Romans and Saxons to the Civil War, including a miniature re-creation of Wallingford's huge royal Castle, accompanied by an audio tour included free with your ticket.
- A Victorian Street Scene with walk-in Shop, Pub, Workshop & Workhouse peepshow
- Special features on the River Thames, models of Wallingford Bridge and Thames weirs, Roman burials from Crowmarsh and a detailed scale model of Wallingford Station
- Special exhibitions, including Agatha Christie - for information on what's new click here
- Fun things for children - including much loved 'smelly, feely' drawers and archaeology sandpits
- A Museum Shop with a range of new books on local subjects, a selection of gifts and mementoes with an historical theme, and a wide choice of second-hand books